- Open the existing InstallShield project in InstallShield 2010 SP1 IDE.
- Modify the Schema under General Information - Summary Information Stream to specify the minimum Windows Installer version that is required for your Installation package. Say 405 to support Windows Installer 4.5
- If the selected minimun Windows Installer version is not available on the target system, then the installer will prompt a message and abort the installation.
- Also, you can select the Windows Installer 4.5 pre-requisite for the supported operating system from Application Data - Redistributable.
For Pre-requisite integration, you can choose either of the following 3 options based on various factors
Extract From Setup.exe - The pre-requisites will be bundled with the installer. This is applicable if the Installation Package size is not a constraint / if you want to distribute the installation package as a single compressed file.
Copy From Source Media - The pre-requisite will be stored in a folder 'ISSetupPrerequisites' parallel to the installer.
Download from the Web - At the time of installation, the pre-requisite will be downloaded on the fly from the web and installed. Internet connection is required during installation.
- If you have not downloaded the pre-requisites already to your installer development machine, right click the Pre-req and click "Dowload the selected Item".