Build Error: 6415
After selecting "Minor Update to Target RTM Version" from the Advanced section of the Patch Configuration properties, you may receive the following error:
ERROR: Patch Metadata property: 'MinorUpdateTargetRTM' is not a generic MSI property.
Cause: This error occurs as a result of a bug that exists in the current version of the PatchWiz.dll distributed by Microsoft as a part of Windows Installer.
Resolution: This bug should be resolved as of PatchWiz.dll version 4.0, which will be released with the Windows Vista Platform SDK and Windows Installer 4.0.
Workaround 1: You can temporarily work around this issue by following these steps:
- Set the Minor Upgrade to Target RTM Version property to "Yes" from the advanced view of the Patch Configuration.
- Open the direct editor (Additional Tools -> Direct Editor) and locate the MsiPatchMetaData table.
- Locate the row that contains the Property "MinorUpdateTargetRTM".
- In the company column of that row, enter 1.
- Re-build your patch.
Check the InstallShield KB for more details.
Runtime Error 1328
Description - the following error message is displayed "Error applying patch to file . It has been updated by another means, and can no longer be modified by this patch. For more information contact your patch vendor. System Error: "
Quick Fix - Using Patch Design View:
- Verify that all files being updated by the patch exist on the machine. If they do not, then you cannot apply a byte-level patch. To function properly, a byte-level update requires the exact copy of the file it was created for on the target system.
- Navigate to the Patch Design View and select the appropriate patch configuration.
- Select the Advanced Tab and find the Include Whole File field in the Build Settings section. Set this field to Yes.
- Finish building the patch and apply the new patch.
Runtime Error 1646:
Even you create a un-installable patch, patch may not be uninstallable and there will not be any entry in ARP Panel.
In Direct editor make sure that there are no new entries in table ‘Create Folder’. If any new entries are there, delete them. If any extra folder is there, then it makes the patch uninstallable.